Skip to main content

Are You Eligible for Medicare?


How Do I Receive Medicare Parts A and B?


Some people receive Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) and Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) automatically and other people have to sign up for it.  In most cases, it depends on whether you’re receiving Social Security benefits.  Generally, you are eligible for Medicare if you or your spouse worked for at least 10 years in Medicare-covered employment and you are 65 years old and a citizen or permanent resident of the United States


If you are not 65, you might also qualify for coverage if you have a disability:  [Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, (ALS) also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, or End-Stage Renal Disease (permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or transplant).]  Here are some simple guidelines. You can receive Part A at age 65 without having to pay premiums if:


  • You already receive retirement benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board (RRB.)
  • You are eligible to receive Social Security or Railroad benefits but have not yet filed for them.
  • You or your spouse had Medicare-covered government employment.

If you are under 65, you can receive Part A without having to pay premiums if:


  • You have received Social Security or Railroad Retirement
  • If you are under 65 and have received a disability benefit for 24 months.
  • You have End Stage Renal Disease.

While you don’t have to pay a premium for Part A if you meet one of those conditions, you must pay for Part B if you want it. It is deducted from your Social Security, Railroad Retirement, or Civil Service Retirement check. If you don’t receive any of the above payments, Medicare sends you a bill for your Part B premium every 3 months.


General Enrollment Period


If you didn't sign up for Part A (if you have to buy it) and/or Part B (for which you must pay premiums) during your Initial Enrollment Period, and you don't qualify for a Special Enrollment Period (SEP), you can sign up between January 1-March 31 each year.  Your coverage won't start until July 1 of that year, and you may have to pay a higher Part A and/or Part B premium.


Here's important information to help you decide if you should receive Part B.


If you or your spouse (or family member if you're disabled) are still working and you have health coverage through that employer or union, contact your employer or union benefits administrator to find out how your coverage works with Medicare.


Medicare is managed by the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS).  Social Security works with CMS by enrolling people in Medicare.


You don’t need to sign up for Medicare each year.  However, each year you’ll have a chance to review your coverage and change plans.


Do you have questions?  Call at 520-484-3807 and let me help you with your Medicare health insurance needs.


By contacting the phone number on this website you will be directed to a licensed agent.